Learning how to play poker is a simple task that you can do very quickly and without hassle. New Zealand gambling sites have a variety of poker games that you should play. However, you cannot do that until you learn the rules. We have compiled a simple guide to help you learn all the rules about poker. So, you too can know how to play poker like a pro.
Generally, poker is a game of fortune. But when you start introducing the element of betting, then skill and psychology play a massive part in winning. That is why it is critical to learn the rules before you commit using real money in the game. That is why guidelines on how to play poker are vital, you get to see how you can strategically play the game based on the rules. Understanding the betting terms and how they fit in the game is also the essential information to learn. Read further if you need to know all this about poker on the internet.
Recommended Kiwi Casinos to Play Poker
How to Play Poker: The Rules
The standard Online poker is played with a 52-card deck. Some poker variant will have the Joker included. The cards are ranked from the highest to the lowest. There are four suits, namely, hearts, spades, clubs and diamonds. All the suits are equal. No suit is ranked higher than the other. Each player will receive a hand of five cards to play. Some poker variants have wild cards such as the Joker.
Before the dealer hands out the cards, the player to his left, called the small blind will have to place the first bet. The player to the left of the small blind will also follow with a bet that is higher than the small blind’s bet.
Once the blinds have placed their bets, then the dealer will hand out two cards to each player. Then the small blind will have the choice of betting, checking, folding or raising. We will explain all the betting terms and what they mean later.
Standard Poker Betting Terms
There is another element to poker on the internet that you need to know. Here are a few betting terms that you should know:
- Call – This is when you match the previous betting amount.
- Raise – This bet means that you match the amount that was bet previously then raise it with an extra amount of your choosing.
- Fold – if you see that your hand will not win the round, you have the option of dropping out of the round, which means you are folding until the next round.
The hand that you have been dealt has different meanings depending on the type of cards you have received.
- Five-of-a-kind – This hand is only possible if you have a wild card like the Joker. This is the highest possible hand you can receive.
- Straight Flush – This is formed when you have five cards in order, for example, 4,5,6,7,8. This is the best natural hand that you can have.
- Four-of-a-Kind – This means that you have the same cards that have the same ranking.
- Full house – This is a combination of three of a kind as well as a pair, for example, Q, Q, Q,6,6.
- Flush – This hand is formed when you have cards that belong to the same suit.
- Straight – a straight is five cards when you have cards that are in order. It could be, A, K, Q, J, T or 5, 4, 3, 2,1.
- Three-of-a-kind – This is when you have three cards of different ranking plus two cards that are not a pair.
- Two Pair – This had is when you have two sets of pairs plus a fifth card.
- Pair – One pair plus three other different cards.
See More Poker Guides: